Care Homes

Care Homes.jpg​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​There are many types of residential care homes available these include permanent care homes for older people, homes for younger adults with disabilities and homes for children. They may be privately owned or run by the voluntary sector or local authorities. It is important that the person and their family or carer carefully consider the many options for residential care before making a decision.

Older people​

Care homes for older people may provide personal care or nursing care. A care home that is registered to provide personal care will offer support, ensuring basic personal needs, such as meals, bathing, going to the toilet and medication, are taken care of. In some homes more able residents have greater independence and take care of many of their own needs.

Adults aged 18-65

There are also residential care homes that provide care and support for younger adults with, for example, severe physical disabilities, learning disabilities, acquired brain injury, progressive neurological conditions or mental health problems.

Children and adolescents

Some homes specialise in providing residential care for children. This could be for a variety of reasons, including physical or learning disabilities or emotional problems.

​Care Homes in Wandsworth

To find Care Homes in Wandsworth go to the Care Homes finder in NHS Choices.​


 Further Information

To find out more information contact Wandsworth Council on 020 8871 7707. 

To get advice contact Carers Direct on 0808 802 0202 or the Age UK advice line on 0800 169 6565. .