Registered Population: 208,369 patients (April 2016)
Number of Member Practices: 21
Clinical Leads: Dr Mike Lane
Management Lead: Claire Frampton
Wandle Locality Member Practices
Pauls Cottage Surgery
South Medical Practice
Wandle Locality Overview
Wandle is the largest of the three Wandsworth localities, with 21 member practices serving 208,369 registered patients (April 2016), predominantly inhabiting the electoral wards of Balham Bedford, Earlsfield, Fairfield, Furzedown, Graveney, Nightingale, Southfields, Tooting and Wandsworth Common.
According to the 2011 census, 61% of Wandle locality residents were aged between 25 and 59 years of age. The resident population is anticipated to increase by approximately 7,000 by 2018. Wandle has higher levels of black and minority ethnic groups compared to the Wandsworth average.
The Wandle area is diverse, with pockets of the locality representing areas of overcrowding, high numbers of pensioners living alone and some areas of significant deprivation. Compared to Wandsworth, Wandle has higher levels of mental health need, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Wandle has also been shown to have higher levels of tuberculosis than the borough average.
Wandle Locality Health Priorities
Locality priorities are identified through review of Public Health needs analysis and discussions with member practices. A number of areas are then chosen to develop as projects within the locality. For Wandle, these are:
- Social prescribing – working with Citizens Advice Wandsworth to commission a dedicated Community Advice and Referral Assistant who provides non-medical advice and support to Wandle patients in need of social welfare support
- Childhood immunisation – increasing uptake of childhood immunisations
- Childhood obesity – raising awareness of childhood obesity and supporting projects to address issues such as exercise and nutrition
- Identifying latent tuberculosis - working to address the higher prevalence of TB in the Wandle locality
Wandle Patient Consultative Group
The Wandle Patient Consultative Group (PCG) is attended by representatives from most practice patient groups. Active recruitment is ongoing to encourage those practices that currently do not send representatives to do so. This enthusiastic and committed group meets every six weeks and is chaired by an elected patient chair.
The group is invited to contribute to important pieces of CCG work including strategies, pathway redesign and transformation pieces. The group often receives presentations from CCG and Public Health staff as well as from commissioned services and community organisations. The size of the group also enables focused workshops within the meetings allowing them to directly influence the CCG works at the design stage. Examples of topics discussed are shown on the table below.
- Multi-Speciality Community Provider (MCP)
- Primary Care Quality
- Friends and Family Test
- Practice Patient Group Feedback
- New Out of Hours Provide (Vocare and SELDOC)
- SWL Collaborative Commissioning
- Patient Rep at Members Forum Job Descriptions
- London Medical Committee (LMC)
- Dementia and Older Peoples Mental Health CRG
- End of Life Care CRG
- Wandsworth Carers Centre
- Nine Elms and Vauxhall
- Diabetes CRG
- Pauls Cancer Centre
- PPI Lay Member Update