Registered Population: 95,750 (April 2016)
Number of Member Practices: 12
Clinical Lead: Dr Jonathan Chapell and Dr Nicola Williams
Management Lead: Emma Gillgrass
Battersea Locality Member Practices
|Balham Hill Medical Practice ||Battersea Fields Practice ||Battersea Rise Group Practice |
|Bolingbroke Medical Centre ||Bridge Lane Group Practice ||Clapham Junction Medical Practice |
|Falcon Road Medical Practice ||Lavender Hill Group Practice ||Queenstown Road Surgery|
|Begg Practice ||The Junction Medical Centre ||Thurleigh Road Practice|
Battersea Locality Overview
The Battersea Locality has twelve GP practices and covers the wards of Queenstown, Shaftsbury, St Mary’s Park, Latchmere, Northcote and parts of Balham. It has a growing population with an April 2016 registered population of 95,750, approximately a quarter of the Wandsworth population. The population is expected to increase by over 26,000 residents within the next fifteen years, mainly due to the Nine Elms Vauxhall major redevelopment. Battersea has pockets of high deprivation, including the most deprived ward in Wandsworth, as well as some of the least deprived areas. While sharing many of the same health priorities as the rest of Wandsworth, public health analysis shows that Battersea has its own specific issues.
Locality Health Priorities
Locality priorities are identified through review of Public Health needs analysis and discussions with member practices. A number of areas are then chosen to develop as projects within the locality. For Battersea, these are:
- Mental health – supporting access to therapies including Mindfulness courses for lower level mental health problems.
- Childhood immunisation – increasing uptake of childhood immunisations.
- Childhood obesity – raising awareness of childhood obesity and supporting projects to address issues such as exercise and nutrition.
- Parenting – offering parenting courses to new parents to learn skills such as first aid and managing minor illness, addressing immunisations, nutrition, keeping well for parents.
- Social prescribing – working with Citizens Advice Wandsworth, DAS CAS and Family Action to provide non-medical advice and support to Battersea patients in need of social welfare support.
Battersea has an active Locality Patient Consultative Group, formed of members from the individual practice patient groups. The group engages with a range of topics, providing feedback and input into strategy, plans and consultations, as well as being informed about various schemes that they are then able to take back and promote within their practices.
The Patient Group is also involved in discussions about locality priorities and projects, and feed directly into the development of the projects.
|Recent topics discussed: |||
- Transforming Primary Care
- Delegated Commissioning
- South West London Collaborative Commissioning Issues
- Community Adult Health Services
- Nine Elms Vauxhall update
- Sustainability and Transformation Plans
- Friends and Family Test results
- Quality in Primary Care
- Improving Practice Patient Groups
- PPI Annual Report
- GP Patient Survey results
- Public Health locality overview
- Locality projects